What's my Role on this Game Again?
In case you don't have your GAD110 Introduction to Game Development book handy,
or if the dog ate the handouts I wrote for you last quarter about game roles
(GAD420: Game Prototyping), I've supplied them here.
This first set are provided through wikipedia - while not a great resource,
it does provide some basic answers to your questions. Please keep in mind that
in our "indie" game development company, people are responsible for
a variety of tasks that may fluctuate as the quarter continues.
You may also want to review a few real job descriptions in order to understand
what companies define as your role. These are some common target jobs for our students:
Entry Level Game Design Jobs:
Not to related to what we are doing for this game, but useful in your career
Finally, to get you started, I have taken some excerpts from entry level positions and a position that could be in your 3-5 year plan. Its important that you start thinking about what you want to do (and how to get there) now. You are only a few months from graduating.
Entry-level America s Army level designers should be self-motivated with a passion for building solid, visually stunning 3D environments and scenarios. Our level designers bring together the work of a talented team of modelers, texture artists, scripters, and programmers. It's up to them to combine each discipline in a way that is compelling and fun while fulfilling project-specific requirements. The successful applicant will have a strong passion for playing and designing games with a willingness to work on the leading edge of game development where innovation occurs as a result of hard work and dedication.
Responsibilities will include implementing art and gameplay, working with Unreal Editor 2.x and 3.0, creating visually compelling levels, developing or testing next-generation assets in-game, working with 3D applications, developing game concepts, developing gameplay prototypes, and supporting ongoing game production with gameplay and art consultations, testing, and refining.
- Solid understanding of game design principles and what makes a game ˜fun
- Some industry/modeling experience in game development
- Experience with game editing programs such as UnrealED, Sandbox, or Hammer as well as 3D applications such 3DsMax or Maya
- Awareness of trends in current games (especially FPS and military genres)
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Self-starter with the ability to contribute to a team environment
- Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a SECRET security clearance.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: AA/AS degree in game development or at least 1+ years of industry experience.
- Software development experience and/or QA experience
- Experience with game level creation (professional or personal)
Job Title: Designer-Scripter Intern
Basic Function: A designer-scripter takes high level designs for missions and works with engineering systems and art assets to create the mission behavior in game.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position typically involves using specialized tools to edit game data and mission scripts, working with an overall game design as well as specific scenario designs established by others. These scenario designs are provided by the project's lead designer or by a Mission Designer.
- Implements scenario features within a draft mission design.
- Building of complex missions, mini-games and interactions for the creation of enjoyable game play experiences are the major responsibilities of a scripter.
- Prioritization skills are necessary as much of the work is interruption driven.
- Must work well in a team of other scripters; as sharing information and ideas is absolutely necessary.
- Knowledge of a variety of types of games
- Demonstrated programming skill, preferably in at least one of the following languages: C, C++, C#, Java
- Previous industry game development experience is not necessary.
- Previous personal game programming projects are expected.
- A passion for developing for high quality games.
Provided by Lindsay Grace for students
of the Illinois Institute of Art, Chicago. These documents may be used by others
when properly credited. Please email lgrace at aii edu for more information.
- AMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., is a leading interactive entertainment software publisher and developer based in Santa Clara, CA. The company is known for creating and publishing many of the industry's top video game franchises including the PAC-MAN, SOULCALIBUR, and Naruto brands. We are currently finishing off a very successful year that saw the launch of major titles such as SOULCALIBUR 4, Tales of Vesperia and Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, and are currently working on a slate of AAA titles for 2009 across all major next-generation and handheld consoles including Afro Samurai, Splatterhouse, TEKKEN 6 and more. For more information about NAMCO BANDAI Games America and our products, please visit www.namcobandaigames.com.
Position: Character Artist
Location: Santa Clara,CA
To produce Next-Generation characters which reflect high standards of technical content, innovation, style, and creativity, to create high quality video games.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To create (build & texture) multiple LODs of various different types of character models using Maya and Photoshop.
- To create variations of character textures that can work interchangeably within a single model.
- To apply skeletal systems to finish character models.
- Work with Art Director to help visualize and develop game character designs.
- Utilize traditional art training and knowledge of animation and computer graphics software to produce art and/or animation for software products.
- Participate with product development team to help visualize and develop game designs.
- Generate high quality artwork within budget and deadline.
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a team. Also mentoring junior artists and interns.
- Proactively recommend improvements in art standards and productivity.
- Awareness on current industry trends and technical advancements.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3+ year's equivalent experience in game industry.
- Successful track record working on products and platforms similar to NBGA.
- Next Generation development experience.
- Brilliant artistic skills and working knowledge of 2D and 3D art production.
- Knowledgeable in various 2D/3D graphic software packages such as: Maya, Photoshop, Studio Max, Z-brush, Mudbox, etc.
- Experience creating 3D models and textures for use in video games.
Specialized knowledge or expertise:
- Demonstrates superior art and creative talent and growth potential.
- Applies professional concepts to job (transitions effectively from textbook theory to actual)
- Generates quality artwork within budget and deadline.
- Works according to supervisory guidelines and reports job status to Art Director.
- 3D modeling and texturing skill using PC software packages.
- 2D skills.
- Good overall technical skills.
- Next Gen Character modeling using Z-brush or Mudbox.
- Fundamental art skills and knowledge:
- Appropriately prioritize and perform multiple tasks concurrently in an occasionally stressful environment.
- Act professional at work all times.
- Flexible to changing priorities and tolerance for ambiguity
- Adherence to schedules.
- Analytical problem solving skills.
- Judgment skills based on strong ability to evaluate multiple factors and act or recommend appropriate actions.
- Problem-solving and multi-task ability.
- Oral and written communication skills that reflect clarity and grammatical correctness.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision.
-Bachelor's Degree required
-Specialized art and/or graphics courses completed