Illinois of Art, Chicago
for the Artist
|Instructor: Lindsay Grace
Questions to Ask about Game Development Environments:
- How much does the development environment cost (per license,
per sale, per install)?
Some environments charge by number of developers programming with it,by the
number of distributed copies, by royalty per copy solde, etc.
- Are games royalty free?
Some environments may require that you pay royalties when you use their tool
to develop your game.
- What games have been developed in this environment?
Evaluate the quality of the games produced with the software and review the
team's post mortem for problems they may have experienced.
- What is the tool's level of difficulty?
Always try to match your level of experience with the environment. Advanced
engines typically produce higher quality products, but they require a much
better understanding of graphics, physics, and programming.
- What programming language does it use?
- Most environments use C++ or Basic derivatives. Professional environments
use C or C++ derivatives, while amateur environments use Basic derivatives
or their own proprietary languages. Proprietary languages typically have the
least online support and community.
- What are the features set this game development environment apart
Does it have normal mapping, shadow systems, a physics engine, effects, etc?
Some environments have pre built tools for effects, while others require additional
programming to create standard effects like shadows.